Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:24:07 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd 5.3-release and some observations

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 06:29:44AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:

> for example, is it possible to `compress' packages within architectures i=
f=20
> there's no problems with running 5.2.1 packages on 5.2 - does that hold f=
or
> 5.2 packages on 5.3 or 5.1 ? you'd then end up with a package tree of
> say FreeBSD5 with only minor version specific releases.

No, they're tied to the release.  Often most packages will work, but
not all, and not always.  The point of keeping package sets for the
releases are because they've undergone QA during the release, and
users know they'll always work.  Note that the release trees are
static, so they're a once-only download.

> >If at all possible, yes.  Mirrors are most useful when they're
> >complete mirrors.
>=20
> nod, i'm just balancing that against updating (relatively) large data
> sets that may not get used that much and/or it takes a while to update.
>=20
> in particular as the number of architectures grow then mirroring every
> -current package tree could result in quite a large update to all
> mirrors without a corresponding benefit - say 6 archs by 3G each is
> 18G/week in updates.

In theory, you can always prioritise your updates so that e.g. i386 is
always synced when it changes, but ia64 is not synced more than once a
month.  I don't know how easy this would be to do automatically on the
mirror end, or if more infrastructure support would be needed, but
that's out of my area.

Kris

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--