Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:33:19 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gtar update: opinions sought

obrien@ has pointed out to me that new releases of GNU tar have
become available (1.13.94 so far), so I intend to revive the
archivers/gtar port.

Currently, the gtar port introduces a number of gratuitous differences
to gtar as distributed.  These were originally modifications to our
in-tree tar and sobomox@ synched them into the port (without
consulting the maintainer).  These changes range from the arguably
useful --fast-read option and differences in permission handling
for root to cosmetics such as a different, locale-dependent date
format in archive listings.

Personally, I would like to drop these differences with the update
and make our gtar port by and large follow the distribution defaults
again.  Introducing local behavior changes (other than bug fixes,
of course) into a cross-platform tool like gtar is confusing to
users, if not outright dangerous.

Since other people might not share this view, I'd like to ask for
opinions.

Note that our system tar will likely switch to bsdtar sooner or
later, so I don't think the gtar port is going to serve as a prototype
for a system tar upgrade.  It will just be a plain port of an
external tool.