Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:46:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Raymond Kohler <raymond.j.kohler@lmco.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about the state of current

:I agree that "it's to be expected", but the "it doesn't matter"
:argument is pretty lame.  It matters.  Coming to FreeBSD the
:first time, I would definitely make a decision for 4.7 vs. 5.x
:if performance were an issue for me.  I still have not seen a
:reasonable justification for interrupt threads (for example),
:except that they are easier to understand and program.
:
:-- Terry

    Interrupt threads have 'grown' on me.  I like them.
    But I come from an embedded world where switching threads
    costs no more then a procedure call.  The way I figure it,
    we will eventually be able to make -current's scheduler
    efficient enough such that the overhead of switching to
    an interrupt thread becomes a non-issue, and they take care
    of the big problem we've always had with interrupts under
    SMP... managing interrupts in an SMP environment.

    I am somewhat partial to the interrupt context stealing
    idea too, though I'm not sure if the added complexity is
    worth it (time may be better spent improving the scheduler).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>