Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 02:22:22 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        kasper@swebase.com ("Kasper")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question

On 24 Jan 2000 06:25:45 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BF6666.0B070510
>
>Hello i'm a new freebsd user and i have an shellacountserver. I wonder =
>how i can restrict users so the only can run 1 backgroundprocess?
>
>Anyone who can help me?

Well, you posted to the right place.  However, a couple of tips on getting
questions answered.  a) Try and use more descriptive subject headings.  (I
only saw your question because I accidentally clicked on it).  Many people
wont bother reading what they are not interested in. b) Dont post HTML
messages.  You end up posting the same thing twice, and a lot of people
dont like reading in HTML.

As to your question, there are a number of ways to do it. One way is via
login classes.  Have a look at /etc/login.conf and create a class for your
shell users to restrict them so that they can not eat up x amount of RAM,
or fork off too many processes etc.  However, limiting to one process might
be too restrictive.  Note that not all things are implemented in the
login.classes, but for what you want to do, you should find everything you
need.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)