Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 21:32:25 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Log file systems? (Was: Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?)

Jay Nelson writes:
> Terry's posts did answer a number of questions. Specifically that lfs
> and soft updates both could only roll a file system back to a known
> good state -- instead of a journaled file system which is capable of
> rolling forward to a known state. Neither lfs or soft updates
> appear to have much to do with journaling. Still, I didn't find
> anything that explained the decision to go with soft updates. Perhaps
> I missed the relevant threads. Were they prior to '98?

I believe the correct answer as to why today we have soft updates
rather than lfs is simply the fact Dr. McKusick tackled soft updates
and made it reliable and easy to apply before anybody got lfs to the
same state.

Can't find any mention if XFS for Linux has been released. May 1999
announcemnt that SGI intends to:
http://www.sgi.com/developers/oss/sgi_resources/feature5.html

More info on XFS:
http://www.sgi.com/Technology/xfs-whitepaper.html