Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:16:36 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Riva*/nVidia chipsets supported in XFree86 ...

As a side tangent to the discussion that I started on -chat a few days
back, dealing with more "high-end" video cards, and support...if anyone is
looking for somethign that does 3D, here is a note from the nVidia
developer who is working with the XFree86 team on drivers (note: the
XFree86 FAQ explicitly states that 3D/fx drivers are not supported):

==================================
IV: RIVA Issues
        The RIVA 128, RIVA 128ZX, and TNT are supported by the same X
server.  The acceleration isn't complete, but should be more that
adequate. In fact, better than most othere cards.  Both PCI and AGP
versions of the RIVA cards are supported.

I believe the Viper550 is a Riva* chipset?  I'm using one of hte Creative
Graphics Blaster cards myself, and it appears to work great.  Have to
figure out what, under FreeBSD, I can *do* with it, mind you...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org