Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 13:54:01 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.mt.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what am I running? (early-november snapshot)

> > I was also looking at man -- seems we're running John Eaton's 1.1...
>
> Is there a newer version of gnu man you're aware of?
>

> Nate

yeah...1.4e -- It done for Linux, available on sunsite...

It might not configure very easily, but it has a number
of useful additions...

BTW -- is there a manifest for where all the sources are?

Here's some readme for 1.4d:
For man-1.4:

Corrected some misprints in man.1. Now also search for manpages *.man.
Added use of message catalogs. (Just as an exercise.)

man-1.4c: Added fixes by gentzel@2.340.ENET.dec.com, Pauline Middelink
  and others. Added suid handling. Added TIOCGWINSZ.
man-1.4d: Added Polish man pages (Rafal Maszkowski, rzm@oso.chalmers.se).
  Added -W option (Marty Leisner, leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com).
For man-1.3:

Changed MANPATH handling, added locale, added 1.2 changes (unaware of
the existence of 1.2), bugfixes. Now merged both versions.

Andries E. Brouwer - aeb@cwi.nl
For man-1.2:

I seem to have taken over man for the moment. I added support for run-
time determination of compressors and expanders, plus a couple of bug
fixes.

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim
zmbenhal@netcom.com

The original author is:

John Eaton
jwe@che.utexas.edu
Department of Chemical Engineering
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas  78712

I was using 1.1 about 7 years ago...this appear much better...

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com