Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:31:46 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   copying a disk with ignoring errors

I recall a case when I had a hard disk that had got bad sectors and it
wasn't accessible through normal mounting anymore.
Then a tool came into the game that - I believe - Poul Henning had
recommended or written for this purpose.

It copies a disk sector by sector to a file (kind of dd), but ignores
errors, it just skips sectors it couldn't read (after a couple
of retries). The result was, that one had a - albeit - worm-eaten -
image of the disk allowing to access the filesystem
and getting to the important files with a little luck these not being
amongst the corrupted data.

Anyone knowing what this little tool was named? Something like diskcopy,
devcopy, I forgot.

--
Christoph