Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:36:36 -0800
From:      mark <mark@linkline.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@Freebsd.org
Subject:   perl:Warning setlocale failed?

hi all,

I've been getting this warning regularly both by perl and Gdk. I see it
 when X/gnome closes.
<begin error message>

perl (or Gdk): warning: setting locale failed.
perl	     : please check that your locale settings:
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LC_CTYPE = "en_US",
	LANG =	(unset)
perl: warning Falling back to the standard locale ("C")

</end error message>

I'm using 3.4 release #0  x86 with a generic kernel.

I have the /usr/share/locale directory and  it's  full of languages.
I've also read the 'man setlocale' but I'm not sure if I'm on the right
track.

And now the question . . .

Are 'LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LANG' environment variables that aren't set,
hence the error messages? If so, where do I point them to? the
/usr/share/locale/(my language dir)?

I noticed that each directory has a 'LC_COLLATE,LC_CTYPE, and 	LC_TIME'
however no 'LC_ALL, or LANG'??

I'm 'assuming' that i could set these in a global file (rc.conf?)

i apologize for being long winded, but i've just jumped the linux ship,
over to freeBSD, and i'm not sure which info is relevant. If anything
else is needed to clarify the problem, please let me know.

thx in advance,

mark haley  [insert clever quote here]