Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:46:28 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?TcOkcms=?= Owen <markowen2206@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fw: SANE Network Scanner

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:11:54 +0100
From: M=C3=A4rk Owen <markowen2206@gmail.com>
To: Zsolt Udvari <udvzsolt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: SANE Network Scanner

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:20:06 +0100
Zsolt Udvari <udvzsolt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you enable your client's IP in saned.conf?
> Check here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sane#Network_scanning
> I've done it with RPI, and followed ArchWiki - you don't need inetd.
>=20
>=20
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to share an Epson Perfection 3490 over the network
> > through SANE. I know it is supported because it worked on linux
> > (Debian). The host (FreeBSD 10.1) recognizes it and it seems to
> > work if I invoke this command:
> >
> > scanimage -d snapscan:libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen1.3 --format pnm
> > > /tmp/outfile.pnm
> >
> > The issue is that my clients (all Debian 7 boxes) don't seem to be
> > able to detect the scanner over the network using xsane or the
> > scanimage -L / sane-find-scanner -q commands.
> >
> > Maybe some of you will be able to enlighten me. Here are the
> > content of a few configuration files from the server:
> >
> > /etc/rc.conf
> >         inetd_enable=3D"YES"
> >         saned_enable=3D"YES"
> >
> > /etc/services
> >         sane-port       6566/tcp #SANE
> >
> > /etc/inetd.conf
> >         sane-port       stream  tcp     nowait
> >         saned   /usr/local/sbin/saned   saned
> >
> > In /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf, everything is commented except
> > 'snapscan' as FreeBSD seems to detect the scanner as snapscan and
> > not epson.
> >
> > /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
> > #------------------------------ General
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > # Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
> > # firmware upload is needed by the scanner
> > firmware /usr/local/share/sane/snapscan/Esfw52.bin
> >
> > # If not automatically found you may manually specify a device name.
> >
> > # For USB scanners also specify bus=3Dusb, e.g.
> > # /dev/usb/scanner0 bus=3Dusb
> >
> > # For SCSI scanners specify the generic device, e.g. /dev/sg0 on
> > Linux. # /dev/sg0
> >

> > #----------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
> > # No changes should be necessary below this line
> >
> > #----------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----

> > #-------------------------- SCSI scanners
> > ---------------------------------- # These SCSI devices will be
> > probed automatically scsi AGFA * Scanner
> > scsi COLOR * Scanner
> > scsi Color * Scanner
> > scsi ACERPERI * Scanner
> >
> > #--------------------------- USB scanners
> > ----------------------------------- # These USB devices will be
> > probed automatically # (This will currently work only on Linux)
> >
> > # Benq/Acer/Vuego 310U
> > usb 0x04a5 0x1a20
> > usb 0x04a5 0x1a26
> >
> > # Benq/Acer/Vuego 320U
> > usb 0x04a5 0x2022
> >
> > # Benq/Acer/Vuego 620U / 620UT
> > usb 0x04a5 0x1a2a
> > usb 0x04a5 0x2040

> [...]

Yes, I did. Here's my saned.conf:

# saned.conf
# Configuration for the saned daemon

## Daemon options
# Port range for the data connection. Choose a range inside [1024 -
65535]. # Avoid specifying too large a range, for performance reasons.
#
# ONLY use this if your saned server is sitting behind a firewall. If
your # firewall is a Linux machine, we strongly recommend using the
# Netfilter nf_conntrack_sane connection tracking module instead.
#
# data_portrange =3D 10000 - 10100

## Access list
# A list of host names, IP addresses or IP subnets (CIDR notation) that
# are permitted to use local SANE devices. IPv6 addresses must be
enclosed # in brackets, and should always be specified in their
compressed form. #
# The hostname matching is not case-sensitive.

#scan-client.somedomain.firm
#192.168.0.1
192.168.1.0/24
#[2001:db8:185e::42:12]
#[2001:db8:185e::42:12]/64

# NOTE: /etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinetd.conf) and
# /etc/services must also be properly configured to start
# the saned daemon as documented in saned(8), services(4)
# and inetd.conf(4) (or xinetd.conf(5)).