Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:08:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        lance@advantinc.com (Lance Costanzo)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel vs. 3com vs DEC chip network cards

Lance Costanzo wrote...
> Are there any reliability or performance issues on using one type over the
> other?
> I'm thinking of using a pair of 3com 3c905B's (10/100 PCI) for a firewall,
> since I've had good luck with the 509B's (10mbit ISA) in the past.
> Lance.

I would suggest getting Intel Pro/100+ cards.  The fxp driver is one of the
most stable and well tested ethernet drivers in the tree.  The cards are
also very fast.

And yes, I practice what I preach.  Most of the FreeBSD machines at my
place of employment use Intel Pro/100B's (82557) or Intel Pro/100+'s
(82558).  Both work great.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry