Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2011 13:26:28 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Remote installing

On 2011-08-20 13:15, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I liked to live dangerously, and want to upgrade a backups server
> from i386 to amd64. Just to see if we could.
> And otherwise I'd scap it and install from usb-stick.
>
> So I have my server running amd64 build GENERIC.
> export /, /var, /usr on the server to be upgraded.
>
> But upgrading world dus have a snag already early on:
>
> ----
> empty changed
> flags expected "schg" found "none" not modified: Operation not supported
> ----
>
> This is probably where some program wants to set immutable flag on
> /var/tmp/empy...
>
> But looks like NFS does not grok that.
>
> Now I seen plenty of sugestions to do it this way, but never saw anybody
> come back with this complaint....
>
> So I must be ommiting something ??

I looked at the work errors.
-----------
cd /mnt/; rm -f /mnt/sys; ln -s usr/src/sys sys
cd /mnt/usr/share/man/en.ISO8859-1; ln -sf ../man* .
ln: ./man1: Permission denied
ln: ./man1aout: Permission denied
ln: ./man2: Permission denied
ln: ./man3: Permission denied
ln: ./man4: Permission denied
ln: ./man5: Permission denied
ln: ./man6: Permission denied
ln: ./man7: Permission denied
ln: ./man8: Permission denied
ln: ./man9: Permission denied
---------

Which comes from the target distrib-dirs in etc

Why would an ln -sf like that fail....
the filesystems are exported with -maproot=0

--WjW