Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:28:06 -0400
From:      Jimmie James <jimmiejaz@gmail.com>
To:        modulok@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:Port dependency tool (if that's what you'd call it)

>I'm not quite sure how to put into word what I want, so bear with me. Is
>there a tool in the base system which does something along these lines:

>1. Look at the makefile of a given port as far as its RUN_DEPENDS and
>BUILD_DEPENDS.
>2. Subtracting what I have already installed, provide me with information
>about what would be fetched (and possibly installed) in an easy-to-digest
>format, recursively (for all dependents of dependents ... and so on).

>If not part of the base system, is there a port which offers this
>functionality?

>Thank ye.
>-Modulok-
Both,
make pretty-print-run-depends-list,
make pretty-print-build-depends-list
  can help you out.

I don't know of anything in base that does it, but what I've done is use
this script (it's not perfect)

#!/bin/sh
#
# Much love Min1ster
#
for i in `make pretty-print-build-depends-list | awk -F\" '{print $2 }'`
do
hasit=`pkg_info -E $i`
if [ -z $hasit ]; then
echo "$i is not installed"
else
:
# (not needed)echo "Everythings there, dude"
fi
done

I have two of them, one with build and one with run deps (called..
checkbuild.sh and checkrun.sh)

Hope this helps some.

Jimmie