Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:19:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware in space?

Hi all,

I've got some ideas that I could use some advise on.  Right now, I'm
working on a Science, Research & Technology (SR&T) proposal that I'm going
to be submitting to NASA with a group of folks here from Montana
State.  We're going to propose to launch a solar telescope on what amounts
to a missile body and look at the sun for 5 minutes or so.  (The total
launch is about 10 minutes long, but we're only high enough in the
atmosphere for 5 minutes or so.)

To get an idea of the sort of images we can make doing this, here's a
sample URL:

Anyway, in the past these payloads have always included simple (but
painful) electronics packages that were basically home-brewed by the
engineering teams that put them together.  I'm thinking that, what with
the capabilities now available in a simple laptop motherboard I should be
able to drive the whole payload with a laptop.  Question is, what should
I use?  (My tentative OS plan, and my tenuous link to -hardware, is
FreeBSD. :-)

So, food for thought: the hardware has to be vacuum compatible, so no
electrolytic caps and probably no disk drives.  (Unless I package the
drives in some sort of pressure vessel.)  The box will have to be able to
talk to three CCD cameras, which I suspect will be talking over an RS-232
link.  It will also have to talk to the rocket electronics, and a GPS card
would be a nice addition.  (I know people who have launched their payloads
from White Sands Missile Range, only never to see them again. :-)  We will
download some small part of the imagery collected during the flight, the
housekeepking telemetry (temperatures and such) and the position as
indicated by the GPS.

I can easily enough make myself a scaled-down version of FreeBSD that has
none of the extra dreck you'd expect with a full-blown distribution;
PicoBSD has already solved many of those problems.  I'm a little concerned
about saving the data -- I won't have enough telemetry during the flight
to download all the data (all told, around 500 MBytes).  So that will need
to be stored somehow; some sort of non-volatile memory would be nice.
Once it hits the ground, I have this idea that I'd plug my laptop via
ethernet cable into the butt-end of the payload (while sitting in the
sand, somewhere in the middle of WSMR) and download everything to disk.

It's clearly a bit of a hostile environment, but it seems like this should
all be solved stuff.  I don't have to have flight qualified electronics on
a sounding rocket, but the stuff should be able to function without
benefit of air flowing around it -- special heat sinks would probably be
in order.  Also curious what non-volatile memory is in this context.

Any suggestions?  Vendors?  Experts?

Cheers,

Brian
--
Brian Handy                             Mail:  handy@physics.montana.edu
Department of Physics                   Phone: (406) 994-6317