Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:33:48 -0800
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>, current@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RC NG, ntp and routed

--kG2acDqmwoBDcCHP

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:47:54PM -0800, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:23:18PM -0800, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> >=20
> > Ideally, ntpd should require NETWORKING and that should solve all probl=
ems.
> > The real problem is that routed is included with DAEMON, not NETWORKING=
. I
> > think that's the real problem and judging that routed is in /sbin, we c=
ould
> > probably move it there without a problem.
>=20
> That sounds like a good idea. According to current NETWORKING requirement=
s it
> just means the network interfaces are brought up, but routing seems to be=
> reasonable requirement as well. I can't think of a good reason why it wou=
ld
> not be a good idea. Maybe we could move the other routing daemons
> there as well (from /usr/sbin)?=20

Well, there in lies the chicken and the egg problem (and why I've been
cursing rcng recently). /usr is mounted after networking so all the things
that implictly require /usr must be run after networking is setup (but what
about things like route6d that is in /usr/sbin?)

IMO rc.d should have the following major catagories:

DISKS
FILESYSTEMS
NETWORKING
DAEMON
LOGIN

DISKS would be things that are needed to get the disks in order to start
getting filesystems mounted (vinum, ccd, raidframe and friends). It may
be a superflous step.
FILESYSTEMS and NETWORKING are a problem because they kind of intertwine.
It's not a clear cut case of mount all the filesystems then start the
networking interfaces. In reality, FILESYSTEMS and NETWORKING are very
much muddled (and cause me no end of grief as a result).
DAEMON is for things like ssh and the like that need to run (thinking
about nfsd, sshd, and just about any *d)
LOGIN is just that. Things that are started at the end of system
initialization.

NETWORKING, DAEMON, and LOGIN exist in the NetBSD framework. NetBSD also
describes a SERVERS catagory that I don't really understand the need for.

I'd like to think about really sitting down and overhauling the rc.d
system after 5.0 is branched. I think that it's reasonable to say we
should not try to be compatible with NetBSD except for keeping a common
rc.subr and major initialization catagories (basically anything that is
in all caps). Does anyone have a problem with dyking out the NetBSD
specific portions after 5.0?

-gordon

-gordon

--kG2acDqmwoBDcCHP