Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:40:50 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ssh does not honor the nologin file

The sshd manual says that sshd checks for /etc/nologin and
/var/run/nologin and if either is found, the login is not allowed.  This
does not work.  I have tried with the nologin file present in both /etc
and /var/run but users can still login via ssh.  I would like to be
able to temporarily disable all logins via ssh from the outside.  I can
not simply kill the daemon because I need ssh on the inside network.
According to the man page for sshd this should "just work".  Does any
one have any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252