Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 14:12:11 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Billy Bath x102 <billy@tesys.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, billy@gw1.tesys.com
Subject:   Re: Is Pent-II/LX chipset-SMP bug ?

> Hello,
> Doug mentioned (Doug is the person who returned my email at
> questions@freebsd.org), that there is a LX chipset bug for the SMP support
> under Freebsd, I asked him if I can get more info on it and he gave me this
> email address.

I'm not aware of any SMP problems with the LX.  The SMP list
(smp@freebsd.org) is the authoratative place to go for that sort of
data.

> >Subject: Re: Is Pent-II/LX chipset well supported-what mb to use ?
> >
> >On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Billy Bath x102 wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, doug
> >> How I contact the SMP group ??
> >> It is important to me know how serious this problem is ??
> >
> >Actually, it's a bug in the BIOS, but it prevents FreeBSD from booting.
> >Try `hardware@freebsd.org' and/or search the mail archives.

The problem that Doug is alluding to is a fault in the BIOS on the
Intel AL440LX (Atlanta) motherboard, where it fails to correctly set up
the registers before calling the bootloader.  This is only an issue if
you partition your boot disk in "dedicated" mode.

mike