Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:15:41 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@siemens.com>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@siemens.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Unexpected busfree in Data-in phase and other weirdness

On Thu, 06-Mar-2003 at 23:58:37 +0100, Francesco Casadei wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 03:33:55PM +0100, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> > (I assume the cabling/termination has been checked already.)
> >
> > I had bus problems with my DNES until I upgraded the firmware to:
> >
> > da2: <IBM DNES-318350W SAH0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
> >
> > In general, I have often seen bus problems when a lot of different
> > devices are hanging on the same SCSI bus and some drives are being
> > hit really hard. They always went away with a new fw, especially
> > on my IBM DDYS drives. The Plextor fw seems a bit old as well (at
> > least compared to my PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.13) but I don't know
> > if the 32TS uses the same as the 40TS.
> >
> > I have written a program to upgrade the firmware on IBM and Plextor
> > (and some other devices) under FreeBSD in case you are interested...
> > However, IMO one should play with the fw only in case of problems
> > and not just to get lastest version...
> >
> > 	-Andre

> > end of the original message
>
> I'm having SCSI-related problems on the home PC, which has run fine for three
> years now whithout being hardware-upgraded. I update the system on a regular
> basis, though (last buildworld/installword was on Thu Dec 26 2002).
> The IBM drive fitness test showed that hard drives are ok. The error seems to
> appear randomly, whithout particular conditions (load avg, used mem, programs
> running, etc.).
> A couple of days ago the SCSI bus has been reset five consecutive times! Is it
> time to change my AHA2940 or this has nothing to do with the SCSI controller?

I am no expert in these things, but: I have never seen a bad Adaptec
controller (and I used lots of them from 2940 to 39160). I _have_ seen
many bad cables/terminators. I _have_ seen many bad cables/terminators
that used to work without a glitch and suddenly started to become bad.
The possibility that this happens is reciprocally proportional to the
price you pay for them :-)

I have SCSI systems that worked for years and started to spit out bus
error messages when changes were commmitted to the driver. In most
cases it turned out that these changes only triggered bad cable/
terminator errors or even firmware problems with the drive.

Don't you have a friend who can give you a spare AHA2940 for
testing?

	-Andre

--
Your mouse has moved.
Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect!

Reboot now?  [OK]