Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:30:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      "J.F. Noonan" <jfn@msc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial Consoles

Hello daemons,

I have read these pages:

http://page.novgorod.ru/freebsd/handbook/x12104.html

http://www.gelatinous.com/aaron/tips/freebsd-serial-console

and the various man pages (boot(8), loader(8), etc) and the big
fat book.  I have also reviewed the LINT kernel file and the
sysctl manpage.

I can the system to start to load at the serial console.  I can
interrupt it before the countdown finishes and specify flags to
the kernel (I am most interested in '-s', single user), but then
when I tell it to boot it returns control to the VGA console.
I have tried all the permutations of -D, -h , and -P and none will
cause the *kernel*, not the loader to use the serial console.

If anybody has gotten this to work, I would sure appreciate any
advice you have.

thx,

--

Joseph F. Noonan