Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:30:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        Patrick Barmentlo <pbm@gateway.barmentlo.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: examples rules ipfw

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Jan B. Koum  wrote:

> [redirect from -hackers to -security]
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 02:56:44PM -0800, "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Patrick Barmentlo wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone please point me out to some good examples for the rc.firewall
> > > file (ipfw )??
> > > (with most variant of opties/features...)
> > >
> > > i have to set up some filtering, but still having some difficulties with
> > > it after checking freebsd.org....
> >

> > add 00501 allow tcp from any to smarter 1024-65535
> >
> >  This allows all traffic to ports 1024 through 65535 (to let FTP work
> > correctly)
>

> 	This is not good! There are way MANY evil things running on ports
> 	greater then 1024. Take X windows (6000), take nfsd (2049). Most of
> 	the insecure solaris rpc crap runs in that range. This list could
> 	go on forever.

Well, I have nfsd listening for UDP only, and that's firewalled off
earlier; I selectively unfirewall hosts for NFS as a specific need
arises.  I don't actually have anything running in the 1024+ port range
except X11, and you're right, I should firewall that, but otherwise this
doesn't introduce any security vulnerabilities into my particular system.

For a network firewall, though, that is dangerous, and I agree that
passive FTP is the way to go.

--
Brian Buchanan                                     brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU