Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:05:29 -0700
From:      Patrick Mahan <mahan@mahan.org>
To:        Daryl Sayers <daryl@ci.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel Panic not dumping to swap

On 8/9/11 10:33 PM, Daryl Sayers wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE (64bit) system with 4G mem installed. I have
> had a few kernel panics over the last few weeks and would like to capture
> a core dump. I have added the following to /etc/rc.conf
>
> dumpdev="AUTO"
> dumpdir=/var/crash
>
> The /var/crash is a 5G filesystem (with 4.8G free).
> When the machine panics the last 2 lines on the console are something like:
>

> Physical memory: 3057 MB
> Dumping 204 MB: 189 173 157 141 125
>

> The system then completely hangs and a hardware rest is required. As the dump
> does not seem to finish I dont get my core dump in /var/cache when the machine
> reboots.
>
> Any ideas??

Daryl,

A couple of questions:

1) How big is your swap partition?  Is it large enough to hold the crash dump?
2) What type of hardware is this? I know that HP Proliants using the CISS raid
   control fail to produce a crashdump and just hangup these boxes.  Perhaps
   this occurs for other types of hardware?

Patrick