Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:48:24 -0800
From:      Clint Olsen <clint@0lsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Overriding default fonts in RealPlayer

Ok, I've figured out what's happening with the "box" representation of
fonts in quite a few of my applications.  Apparently in XFree86 4.X and
beyond, they are offering unicode representations, and many applications
are NOT correctly specifying the font encoding to be ISO8859-1.  If they
don't specify, they get the unicode version.

I noticed this problem with Xchat.  If I go in and select the proper font
(with encoding), it works.  Luckily most of Xchat is comprehensible enough
to go into the menus and fix it.

So, now the challenge is to find the correct incantation in my .Xdefaults
(resources) which RealPlayer just might read and override the font
settings.

Does anyone know how to determine this?  It isn't documented anywhere.

Thanks,

-Clint