Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:19:47 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Xiaowei Yang <yxw@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig kills my machine

Xiaowei Yang wrote:

> However, "ifconfig fxp0" killed the machine. I lost keyboard. I tried to
> uncomment the lines in rc.network and left only
> network_interfaces="lo0". Still , rebooting died at the ifconfig point.
>
> I donot know what caused the problem. I used
> /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/config configured the kernel. Does
> it matter?
>
> I am will very grateful if somebody could give me a hint.

I've seen this on a Toshiba Equium 7000S, with onboard fxp0.  The first
DMA operation in the configuration of the chip never completes.  I re-
installed 2.2.7 on that machine, since I didn't have time to investigate
then.  If I ever get done with my "FPX" code at work (maybe this week,
if I'm lucky) I'll poke into this fxp problem. ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com