Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 21:42:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Couchman <scouch@io.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, jmb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ijppp cannot talk to modem (/dev/cuaa1)

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Stephen Couchman wrote:

> I am trying to get ijppp (user ppp) to work, but I am running into one
> problem after another.

I recall it taking me some time before I could get ppp to work right.
Keep at it...

> I have taken the advice given to me lately concerning my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
> file.  This seems to setup my modem, etc. properly since the 'show modem'
> command within ijppp displays the expected results.

OK..

> The problem, however, is that ijppp cannot seem to talk to my modem.
>
> The modem is connected to /dev/cuaa1.  I can use 'tip' to connect to the
> modem, and dial out.

> When I try to use the 'term' command from within ijppp, I get no response
> from the modem.  The RD/SD lights on my modem do not flash.  I get the same
> response if I use the 'dial' command from within ijppp (after starting the
> program with an ISP name found in my ppp.conf file.

Now this is a strange one.  MAKE SURE that ppp is pointing to
/dev/cuaa1.  Scrutinize everything closely.

> BTW, when I use the 'term' or 'dial' command to access the modem using
> /dev/cuaa1, a 'LCK..cuaa1' file is created in '/var/spool/lock'.

That should be happening, to keep other apps (ie uucp, seyon) from using
the modem at the same time you are.

Can't help much here, I'm no wiz when it comes to unix communications.  I
have enough problems getting my laptop to recognize my PC :-)

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant