Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 09:46:34 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel configuration/compilation tool

On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Looks good to me, but the question has to be WHERE ON EARTH DO YOU GET
> THE COMPILE SERVER FROM? I don't think we have anywhere near the
> resources available currently to host such a project, nice though
> it may be :-(

    Well, I've got four 486's here that aren't doing much at the
moment (two of our postdocs are away on a work term, and a grad
student is back in Toronto).... ;-)  I think I might be able to sneak
a few CPU cycles for this task, even if only for a few days just to
see how it goes.  :)

> I've already stated that I'm interested in doing a libdialog based one,
> and from my past experience with libdialog, I have a sneaky suspicion that
> I'll rewrite it along the way :-(

    If we can standardize on a "kernel config config", that will take
us a long way towards a consistent set of utilities for kernel setup.
The front-end interfaces can come later.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org