Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:43:07 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   bug in tar exclude file handling?

Perhaps I have overlooked something, but in writing a recent backup script,
I ran across what might be a bug.  In the 'exclude' file you may use with
tar, if there is ANY whitespace on the lines after the file names, tar will
not match them.  This caused me untold grief when 2 apparently identical
exclude files produced entirely different results.  One worked, the other
didn't.  At the least, maybe a note could be added to the man page.  Or
would this be considered a bug?  Or is it a 'feature' designed to protect
backward compatibility or interaction with other progs?

Jonathon
--
"One World, One Web, One Program." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer." - Adolf Hitler