Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:41:15 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Eswaran Srinivasan <eswar@idc.tandem.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT help needed

Eswaran Srinivasan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to know how to build Free BSD source. I saw Free BSD handbook
> which says that couple of "make" commands will do the job. But, when
> I tried to build Free BSD 4.4 Lite 2 source, it gave lot of problems.

As I and others on the list already told you, there's no way you can
build a FreeBSD kernel from BSD Lite sources directly, nor can you build
anything that actually boots from it unless you fill in all the blanks
they've left out (which is a *lot* of work).

> Somehow, I could satisfy the compiler by fixing all the defects. But,
> the system is not coming up ;-(
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. What is the procedure I need to follow for building a Free BSD kernel
>    source so that I can boot with my kernel ?

See the handbook section on rebuilding the kernel
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html)

> 2. I am having Free BSD 4.4 Lite 2 soure. Is it possible to build this
>    source (kernel source) to have a customized kernel ?

BSD Lite and FreeBSD are not the same and there's no such thing as
FreeBSD 4.4 Lite 2. You can use FreeBSD sources to rebuild the FreeBSD
kernel. You cannot use BSD Lite sources to build a FreeBSD kernel, just
as you can't use it to build a sports car. FreeBSD and BSD Lite are NOT
THE SAME. Actually, there's nothing you can build from the BSD Lite
sources without some very serious work on it.

> 3. Also, if I want to change only a specific driver (say SCSI tape driver),
>    is it possible to build only that particular driver (without building
>    the complete kernel source) and create a ".o" (equivalent to Driver.o
>    on SVR4 or compatible systems) and integrate it with the kernel ?

See the device driver writing tutorial on the FreeBSD site. If you just
change a driver's source file, making the kernel should pick up your
changes. However, you should better be familiar with the current drivers
available before attempting to reinvent the wheel.

See http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html

> Will really appreciate your efforts/help.
>
> Thanks
> - Eswaran Srinivasan
>
>            \\|//
>            (o ~)
> Eswaran Srinivasan                   |  Contact :
> Wipro Infotech Group - Global R&D    |  Phone   : 91-80-5522296, Ext: 3076
> 26, Chamundi Complex,                |  E-Mail  : eswar@wipinfo.soft.net
> Begur-Hongasandra Village            |            eswar@idc.tandem.com
> Bommanahalli, Bangalore - 560 068    |
Nadav