Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:07:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SONY SMO-C501-09 not recognized under CAM

Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, J Wunsch wrote:
> > Well, as i wrote in the other message, i'm now (finally) also with CAM
> > at home.  Basically, everything's working fine so far.  (Unlike what
> > Ken wrote, i can't confirm the problems with the IBM DCAS with tagged
> > queuing, but i'll try to collect bonnie and iozone data first.)
> >
> > Well, the subject says what's not working yet: my old SONY MO drive.
> > Upon booting, i get (after a rather long timeout, i. e. while the
> > system is already proceeding with the boot):
>
> I can't get the device to attach to the DA driver unless a platter is
> loaded.  My C1716T and C1716C don't have this problem but the 2
> SMO-C501-00s and the 2 SMO-C501-25s (With HP firmware) in my library do.

Do you get any error messages back when the da driver fails to attach?  My
guess is that the device may be sending back a non-standard "medium not
present" error code.

If that is the case, we can either quirk it or put it in as an acceptable
error code and continue the attach.  I had a similar situation pop up with
the CD driver.  It turns out that there are some Philips/HP CD-R drives
that return 0x04,* when there is no media in them.  So an Additional Sense
Code of 0x04 is acceptable to the CD driver on probe now, and it will still
attach.

> > (da2:ncr1:0:3:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> > (da2:ncr1:0:3:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
> > (da2:ncr1:0:3:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
> > (da2:ncr1:0:3:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
> > (da2:ncr1:0:3:0): lost device
> > (da2:ncr1:0:3:0): removing device entry
> >
> > Hmm, yes, the drive ain't spinning by that time (i keep it down when
> > not used), but i was under the impression the probe routine would spin
> > it up anyway?  At least the old od(4) driver did so (and in my hacked
> > version, automatically brought the drive down when not openened by
> > anyone.)
>
> Hummm.  The external I just plugged into my running system (was on the
> Mac which has problems with it right now. (Damn you Steve Jobs, damn you
> to hell.))
> da5 at dpt0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> da5: <SONY SMO-C501-00 2.07> Removable Direct Access SCSI-CCS device
> da5: 281MB (576999 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 281C)
>
> > I can then spin it up manually using the associated pass device, but a
> > `camcontrol rescan' doesn't get it back as a `da2' as i would have
> > expected.  Here's all i could get so far:
>
> Indeed.  Same problem when I plug it in and rescan without a platter.

I suspect that i just misinterpreted what Joerg was saying.  I thought that
he meant that the above error (0x04,0x00) came up when there was a disc
inserted, but it wasn't spinning.  Did he really mean that the above error
happens when there is no disc inserted?  (i.e. medium not present)

I'm sure we can get the thing working properly, if I can just get a handle
on what error codes the device returns for these two situations:

- no disc in the drive
- disc is in, but isn't spinning

Ken
--