Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:19:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: threads/101323: fork(2) in threaded programs broken.

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <Pine.GSO.4.64.0608031558540.13543@sea.ntplx.net>, Daniel Eischen wr
> ites:
>

>> There's no easy way to hold all library locks.  They are
>> littered in libc and libpthread and the application doesn't
>> have access to them.  You would have to teach libc to
>> record these locks and export a function to lib<thread>
>> to lock and unlock these them.
>
> I would be perfectly happy if libpthread would just at the very
> least release the locks it specifically grabs for the fork.
>
> There's a big difference between giving it a sensible shot and
> downright sabotaging it the way we do currently.

Actually, I would prefer to emit an error message of the
form:

   "fork() from a threaded process is not defined by POSIX"

and purposefully segfault ;-)

> Anyway, apart from the view from the theoretical high ground and
> the fact that POSIX doesn't actually say anything helpful here, are
> there any objections to the fix I proposed ?

For that one specific change, no objection.  I have an
objection to enabling the NOTYET in thr_kern.c without
having an overall solution for libc as well.

--
DE