Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:49:29 -0500
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User CD Mount

Graham Bentley wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am trying to get permission to mount CD's when logged in non root
>Following the handbook advice I have :-
>
>As root set the sysctl variable vfs.usermount to 1.
># sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
>Added the line vfs.usermount=1 to the file /etc/sysctl.conf
>
>Changed group perms on devs
># chgrp operator /dev/acd0
># chgrp operator /dev/acd1
>
>Changed access perms
># chmod 640 /dev/acd0
># chmod 640 /dev/acd1
>
>Changed group perms on the mount points
># chgrp operator /cdrom
># chgrp operator /cdrom1
>
>Added myself to the operator group in /etc/group
>operator:*:5:root,graham
>
>However non of this worked - I could still not mount as non root
>even though I was in the operator group.
>
>Next I installed the sudo package and added my name to the list
>of adminsitrators. Whilst this had the desired outcome I still wasnt
>happy that I couldnt get this working without using sudo :(
>
>Finally I change the owner on the mount point to my username
>and that worked fine (without sudo)
>
>However I still do not think I have done the right thing (being
>a bit of a noob :) as I have noticed that when I have mounted
>the cd, an ls reveals the ownership as root:wheel - when I unmount
>it is back to graham:operator ?
>
>(gkrellm also always reports the devices as being busy even though
>I specified exactly the same mount command that works from cl )
>
>This probably highlights my lack of understanding of permissions
>etc so I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the path
>to enlightenment ?
>
>Thanks !!!

If I am not mistaken, chgrp and chmod are not sticky on /dev stuff, you
lose it on reboot for example.  These must be set in a conf file to be
permanent.  Your user account has to own the mount point also, so but
something like cd-rom or acd0 in the top level of your home dir for easy
access.

Here is what I do to use the cd as a non root user.

I added a group called cd_access that could access and mount cd drives
and made my self a group member. I set vfs.usermount=1 under
sysctl.config.  In devfs.conf I added :

own    /dev/acd0    root:cd_access
perm    /dev/acd0    0770