Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:59:40 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Mike Hernandez <sequethin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xterm conflicts with xorg-clients

Mike Hernandez wrote:

>On  Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 05:22:08PM +0000, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>

>>Jeppe Larsen wrote:
>>

>>>After running cvsup and portupgrade, I'm having some problems with xterm
>>>and some other programs.
>>>Portupgrade failed because of the following:
>>>
>>>===>  xterm-206_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
>>>    xorg-clients-6.8.2
>>>
>>>    They install files into the same place.
>>>    Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
>>>*** Error code 1
>>>

>>Don't delete any of those dependencies!  If you do then you will
>>probably have to re-install those packages to get the dependencies back.
>>

>Great. I just had the same problem and I deleted the dependencies ;)
>This is fun.  If I had only waited 10 minutes...
>
>I hope I didn't break anything beyond repair.....

I don't think so.  Keep track of which ports you deleted the
dependencies from, then when you have the whole xorg-clients/xterm mess
sorted out, just force a re-install of those packages and the right
dependencies will come back.  Time consuming, but not rocket science ;-)

I had to do something like that when interrupting gnome_upgrade early
seems to bugger everything a treat, but I got everything back OK (I think!).

--Alex