Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:11:49 -0500
From:      "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   pixel corruption in wide xterms

--Sig_/ffi4wVzIPYY0YWPYa7CHfg+

Since being advised a couple of weeks ago on this list to switch from
the xf86-video-i810 driver to the xf86-video-intel driver, I am seeing
pixel corruption in xterm windows.

The pixel corruption consists of collections of lit pixels where there
are no characters and, occasionally, also unlit pixels where there are
characters.  These corrupted areas scroll with the xterm.  The
corruption happens only on wide xterms, seemingly when columns >=3D 158,
which is often the case for me as I use a 1600x1200 display and an xterm
font size that can fit up to 175 columns in a maximized xterm window.
It also seems to happen only at the left of the screen.

An example of the corruption can be seen here:
    http://opal.com/jr/xterm-corruption.gif
I have marked the corruption using red ovals.  There are many red ovals!
(NB: download and view this at full size to avoid further distortion due
to your browser shrinking the image.)

Is there a known solution for this?

FreeBSD-7.0BETA1.5
xorg-7.3_1