Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:26:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        gordon@drogon.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wheres all my memory going?

On  8 Oct, David Greenman wrote:
>>Machine boots OK. I start named (8.1.1) and it initialises. However, after
>>some time (a day or so) the machine start to run out of swap space. I only
>>allocated 64M of swap. (Is this the problem?) What I can't figure out is
>>where the memory is going. Output of 'top -b' shows:
>
>    Yes, you need more swap than you have RAM...this is very important to
> avoid problems.

Does that mean that it is not possible to run a FreeBSD system without
swap at all?  I can think of a number of situations (mostly kind of
embedded) where you can arrange to satisfy all of the memory
requirements with RAM, but don't want to add a disk or use a network
for swap.

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."