Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:35:56 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au (Andrew)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My child dosn't exit :-(

As Andrew wrote:

> As this works under 2.1.x but not 2.2 I am guessing something has changed.
> If anyone could give me some help I would be most grateful.

The pipe code has been drastically rewritten.

Where is the child hanging?  Look at the WCHAN message in a ps -alx
output.  Also, there's ktrace, this might help you to find out what
system calls the child has already done.

Finally, you can compile passwd with -g debugging symbols, and run gdb
on it.  gdb can now also attach to a running process, and will stop
the process as soon as it attaches.

--
cheers, J"org