Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 12:02:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Subject:   Re: problem with plip stealing clock

On Tue, 1 May 2001, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> > I did have the problem with PLIP between my 386 laptop and 486 desktop
> > until I reduced the MTU to 512.
>
> Anything "magical" about 512 (or is lower better here).  If lower is
> better, how low can I go (I guess I'll find out).

You seek a compromise: lower the MTU until your time loss problem goes
away, but not much lower as the overhead in packet reassembly becomes more
significant as MTU is lowered.  I don't know what the actual minimum is,
but IIRC MTU < ~128 bytes doesn't usually achieve much.  I'd start at the
MTU=512 Jeremy suggested.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac@pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia