Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:59:51 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Tristan Savatier <tristan@mpegtv.com>
Cc:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@freebsd.org, don@partsnow.com
Subject:   Re: RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

> Amancio Hasty wrote:
> >
> > XIE is supposed to provide a general image plus conversion facility as
> > to if I can get different vendors to accelerate XIE is a different
> > story.
>
> What's XIE ? Is that like XIL ?

X Imaging extensions.

> By the way, another point: Microsoft is already working on an API
> that takes interlaced into consideration.  They do that because
> it becomes possible to implement MPEG-2 (DVD) in software, using
> MMX and some hardware acceleration.

You probably need a PII 300Mhz to do that and then your PC
can only do that . In six months it should be more viable with
the next round of hardware upgrade from Intel : 400Mhz CPUs,
100Mhz bus, faster ram, AGP port.

BTW: I am MSDN (Microsoft Developer's Network) subscriber and have
hacked together a high speed bt848 driver for Win85 because at the
time win95 didn't support multiple video capture boards something
trivial for FreeBSD.

> Unix has accumulated a considerable retard with regard to
> multimedia APIs, and I don't see how it can recover from that,
> really...
With Linux, FreeBSD, OSS and XFree86 it can recover. The issue
with the traditional workstation is cost both of software and hardware
which we can drive down with PC platforms.

> I still love Linux, but like everyone else, I'll be moving
> to the MS platform to make $$$$.

We are not hacking on FreeBSD for $$$.

	Cheers,
	Amancio