Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:54:03 -0500
From:      Scott Sipe <cscotts@mindspring.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   DP2 (and earlier) Problems

1) I burned the ISO image.  Booted from the CD.  When installing, if I tr=
y to=20
do a network install of some part, it asks me the interface, I select xl0=
, my=20
3com card.  It asks for IPV6, I say no, it asks for dhcp, I say yes--but=20
nothing happens (none of the values fill in).  I'm guessing this is relat=
ed=20
to my problem 2. (though dhcp did work later in the installation after so=
me=20
parts of the installation had been performed off the cd).

2) Lots and lots of core dumps on first boot.  I just now installed off t=
he=20
CD, on the first boot up, got a lot of core dumps (too many for me to see=
=20
them all), one error I remember was sendmail not being to find "execve" i=
n=20
some library (sorry for lack of details).  I had similar problems with DP=
1=20
which I tried last week--I would for instance cvsup and it would keep=20
replacing files that I KNOW are up to date--it's like for some reason cur=
rent=20
is acting as if my hard disk is going bad or is getting corrupt data off =
it. =20
A program might work one minute, and on the next reboot not.  I have no i=
dea=20
how to troubleshoot this further.  I know my hardware is good, I'm runnin=
g=20
stable right now off the same harddisk.

I tried to get a dmesg, but after I type a login name getty dies.  Basica=
lly=20
everything that tries to run, dies.

Advice on how to continue?

Scott