Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 1995 07:27:26 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
Cc:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whatsup with cdrom.com ?

Network Coordinator stands accused of writing in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.951006164531.26738A-100000@aries.ai.net>:
>Not that I am one to complain or anything, but since ftp.cdrom.com
>upgraded to an FT-3 I would have expected all the limits to be broken, but
>instead it looks like there are more in place. Its none of my business, so
>I don't want to offend anyone. But I remember the older ftp.cdrom.com that
>ran off a T-1 had 192MB of ram and supported 500 users. Now it seems
>slower, is running on 128MB ram [hardware, I know] and has a T3 which
>strikes me at the very least, as somewhat ironic.

I don't wcarchive has ever supported 500 users. I could be wrong
however, I wasn't involved much in the running of the old 1.1.5.1
system. It certainly never had 500 users when it was on the T1, about
the most you can support is 150-180 or so. Even then the T1 was
totally swamped.

Seems slower? Strange. The new hardware is 30% faster according to
measurements made by David just after he made the upgrade, and with
the improvements David and John made to the post 2.0 VM system it
should be faster...

Gary