Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:04:33 +0300
From:      Dmitry Sivachenko <demon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libsml2 & libxslt config files location

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:56:48PM +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:
> Okay. Probably I missed you point here but I would say in general case
> you can not update package w/o updating its config file if any.

Most packages continue to work with old config files after upgrade.

> >These two files are the only exception: they cantain hardcoded version
> >number of
> >libxml2 and libxslt.
> >
> >It would be really nice to move them to some other place.
> >Since their purpose matches gtk12-config closely, I propose /usr/local/bin
> >for
> >them.
> >

> We have {xml2,xslt}-config wich plays role similar to gtk12-config.
> Those {xml2,xslt}Conf.sh files in qustion are *config* files. They
> supposed to be included by various shell scripts. Yes they have .sh
> suffix but look at their permissions, look at their content. I can count
> on number of ports and most notable is portupgrade wich keep such
> script-like config files under etc/ directory.

If they are really config files, why do they contain version numbers of
libxml and libxslt?!?  These are constants and can not be configured.

If I upgrade those libraries and leave these files untouched, scripts you
mentioned will continue to think we have an older version of these libs.

I see no logic here.  What are these script which use {xml2,xslt}Conf.sh,
provided that the same information can be extracted from {xml2,xslt}-config?