Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:24:58 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

> 	The docs that came with the product.  As for books, I don't have
> that much time to go through reading books because by the time I finish
> reading it, it'll be too late.

Heh.  Vinnie, that is the most completely and utterly bogus argument
I've ever heard.  I have the Stevens book on Networking right here,
for example, and it's as relevant today as it was the day it was
published (and a great book on network programming besides).  The same
goes for the 4.4 BSD book from McKusick et al.  If you want to know
about the kernel, it's a fine place to start.  Or how about Evi
Nemeth'd book on system admin?  Even the old editions are still
largely relevant, and I'd recommend the book to anyone.  This sounds
like a pathetic excuse for avoiding your necessary reading and nothing
else but.  Give it up - now you're just trying to cram the other foot
in where the first is already taking up all the space. :-)

> 	You're still forgetting the fact that when you are physically
> there next to the router machine, it's a night and day difference in
> figuring things out.  But when it's like totally remote, then you do need
> to verify things first instead of totally screwing it up.  Besides, for

You first run simulations on your own machine, Vince.  If you haven't
got a machine for doing this kind of thing then I suggest that you
de-volunteer for this position you've taken on because you are NOT
QUALIFIED to admin a system under these constraints.  Believe it or
not, admin'ing for an ISP is is not a kiddy game.

Anyway, I think you simply need to listen more, argue less and be
willing to do more basic research before reaching for the red phone in
the future if you want to be a success at this and not have everybody
hating the very sight of your email address to boot.

When my martial arts teacher tells me that I'm not standing straight
enough or that I'm too tense and am blowing some form I'm doing, I
don't sass back and claim that Sifu doesn't know what he's talking
about - of course he knows all that waaaaay better than I do and
that's why I'm going to his bloody class.  Similarly, people like Nate
and I know this stuff a hell of a lot better than you do and when we
say "Vince, you're fucking up - go read this book" then you should go
read it, you shouldn't fire off another diatribe in response about how
you don't have time or that the space aliens from the planet Zoobula
who live in your sock drawer will be displeased.  If you really do see
yourself as such a beginner then LISTEN to those who know and stop
being so bleeding contentious about everything.  When we tell you to
do something it's for a reason and we expect you to either do it or
simply stop asking questions since you've obviously reached expert
status on your own and no longer need our advice.

					Jordan