Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:34:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   max. amount of physical memory in FBSD 4.1?

Dear Sirs.

Every step done under Linux is well documented by the press, especially here
in Germany! When Microsoft found a bug in AMD's Athlon CPUs which causes
Win2k to crash, the 4GB physical memory limit came into play again. Some
discussions were made about PAE addressing modell and so on and although the
discussion started on a M$ <-> AMD problem, the migration towards Linux's
memory modell was done smoothly. Well, we now know, Linux has recently a
4GB physical memory limitation due its PAE address space model. And what is
about FreeBSD 4.1? We use now TYAN's Thunder 2500 maonboard which is capable
to hold two CPUs and get equipted with max. 8GB main memory. This is a nice
option because we plan to solve some memory intensive environtmental
research calculations. So, my question seems to be stupid for those who
understand reading kernel code, but for me, a kind of "normalo", please
tell me: how much memory and how many CPUs is FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE capable to
work with in a stable fashion?

Many thanks,

Gruss O. Hartmann