Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 16:13:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        Studded@dal.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD w/ a cable modem

> On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 17:54:37 -0600, Chris Monette wrote:
>
> >Hello.. I was just wondering, if I downloaded FreeBSD - would it have
> >support for a Coaxial Cable Modem Ethernet connection?
>
> 	You won't be able to install it over the cable modem, but you can
> download the files to a dos partition over the modem, and install that
> way.  Instructions for that are with the distribution you want to
> download.

re: DHCP and freebsd install...

GREAT IDEA

How hard would it be to make the FreeBSD cd use a cable modem and dhcp
to get it's IP address.  I've got the ISC stuff here... how hard would it
be to squeeze it in to the boot floppy?  I'm sure it would be popular
on college campuses (and offices -- since everywhere I work's gone dhcp
and TCP/IP based now).

(I'd finally have a connection fast enough to do quick net installs
of snapshots on demand!)

Bill

 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.