Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:56:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD 5.0 diskless environment does not work!

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

Dear Kris.

At the momnent I do several stupid tasks on the faulty environment
and I got several new informations which are hopefully helpful.

I deleted all rc.* files in etc except rc and rc.subr because they
seem to be needed. I wish to use rc_ng and therefore configured
rc.conf (by default it does).

Within rc I found this line:

	files=`rcorder -k ${os} -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* 2>/dev/null`

It shows us the order in which the rc.d/-located scripts get passed
through. The first one is 'initdiskless', when I do
	files=`rcorder -k FreeBSD -s nostart *
being within the rc.d of the diskless environment.

Just for fun I provided this file with an additional line at the first
place it should show me something like

	echo "Hello, this is initdiskless"

and then tried to boot the diskless station again.
The boot process was normal, kernel got bootstrapped but this specific file
never got touched (in meanwhile I tried to set manually 'nfs.diskless_valid="1"'
in boot/loader.conf.local).

I think something got wind up in rc or rc.subr that prevents initdiskless get
executed. I'm not competent to do the work (braindamaged, stupid guy I am...).
Maybe there is another tricky point on which the whole thing collapses which
is invisible to me.

I nice feature would be to have some 'knob' switching on/off debugging, maybe
this is possible or already realized in the shell? How to do the verbosity task?

Within an other experiment I tried the old way to pass through the init scripts,
means: using the old rc.*-styles.
Then I get another weird error message. These scripts obviously walk through rc.diskless1
and rc.diskless2 but I got a failure about a missing device md0c, which means to me:
no RAM disk. And therefore all subsequent errors are relying on this because the
copy actions fail.

Bytheway, I do not know how to do a fast and 'out of the long bug report way' bug
report: while the newest 5.0-CURRENT stuff got rid of Kerberos  IV, thenaming of the
kerberos/heimdal services did some changing and in /etc/defaults/rc.conf it has
to be

	kadmind5_server="/usr/libexec/kadmind" # path to kerberos 5 admin daemon
				       ^

instead of

	kadmind5_server="/usr/libexec/k5admind" # path to kerberos 5 admin daemon
.

Best wishes and thanks for your quick response,

Oliver