Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 19:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Cyrix chip] panic in FreeBSD-STABLE kernel..

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> I put back in the i486_CPU line and it works fine, seems the Cyrix reports
> itself as a 486 (I now recall a conversation in respect to this already).
>
> What is involved in the 586 support?  Am I loosing on anything significant
> by registering it as a 486?  How would I go about getting it to register
> as a 586 (or even better a 686)
>
> Enjoy;
>
> -Brandon

I am pretty sure there is a way to properly ID it, but I guess no one has
had the time to do so.  Cyrix should probably come out with some source
code to properly do that for their cpus.  I remember the NexGen folks
provided some source code to do that for their Nx586s.

Hmmm.... I wonder what the AMD K5's which are finally out will ID as...