Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:17:46 -0400
From:      Greg Larkin <glarkin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Data files and ports

Jesse Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to teach myself how to build a FreeBSD port and, with a lot
> of help from the manual, it's going well. I have a question though
> concerning policy/style.
>
> I'm trying to port a program which is distributed in two separate
> packages from the upstream project. One package contains the executable
> program and the other contains data files. The Data package rarely
> changes. The idea being packaging them together would use up a lot of
> extra bandwidth.
>
> Which brings me to the question: Since the executable relies on the data
> files being in place before it's run, how should I handle that in the
> port? Should I just get the executable to install and let the user
> manually get the data files? Should I create a second port for the data
> package? Or should I find some way of making the executable's makefile
> download and unpack the data package?
>
> My instinct is to create a separate port for the Data package and list
> it as a dependency for the Executable port. I'd appreciate some
> guidance.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Jesse,

Welcome to the fray, and I'm glad to hear that you're learning how to
develop FreeBSD ports!

To answer your question - your port Makefile can download multiple
distribution files from the upstream download site.  For a couple of
examples, see these Makefiles:

#1 - www/zend-framework:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/zend-framework/Makefile?rev=1.48;content-type=text%2Fplain

Note the DISTFILES value and how it is affected by setting NOPORTDOCS.
You can show the different values like so:

cd /usr/ports/www/zend-framework
make -V DISTFILES
make NOPORTDOCS=yes -V DISTFILES

The ZF port is a little different than yours because the distribution
files do change at each release, but the idea is the same.

#2 - lang/gcc45:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/gcc45/Makefile?rev=1.444;content-type=text%2Fplain

This example is somewhat more complicated.  I recently worked with
gerald@ to include support for the GNU Java Compiler (gcj) in the gcc45
port.

Search for "WITHOUT_JAVA" in the file, and you can see some use of
additional distribution files, including the use of tagging
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html#PORTING-MASTER-SITES-N)
and preventing some distribution files from being automatically extracted.

If you have any further questions about your new port or the examples
above, please post back to the list.

Hope that helps,
Greg
- --