Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 16:00:45 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet PCI Ethernet adapter (again)

> lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 22 int a irq 11 on pci0:11:0
> but it doesn't show up in a subsequent 'ifconfig -a'.

> 	* I have no idea what port address it's using; I've made
> 	several reasonable guesses, without success; and
> 	* the boot config utility doesn't know about lnc1 -- it knows
> 	only about lnc0.

Well, it's a PCI device, so the port address is not needed.. The PCI driver
will detect it if it knows about it.

> So: what's going wrong here?  If someone can give me 2 minutes' worth
> of guidance to point me in the right direction, I'll be happy to take
> a crack at code changes to make it work.  I'm told Linux works great
> with this chip in this notebook, and obviously Win95 works (well, as
> well as it ever works :->); so it can't be impossible.

It looks like the PCI drivers don't understand the card, this maybe because it
has an ID they don't know about, but would be capable of driving. Perhaps the
author of the PCNet driver can help you.

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |