Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:00:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wd discontinued? Was: Re: IBM Netfinity 5000 Problem (ATA Driver Bug)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> > If you did not notice you have not followed the discussions on -hackers.
>
> Following discussions on -hackers is hardly required for people running
> -stable.  I had hoped that we'd see the last of the ata incompatibility
> issues resolved (especially with such mainstream hardware) before 'wd'
> was really axed.

Please note that this issue is not a biggy for me.  The affected system is
an old one (Pentium 60!) and should be replaced.

Here is some dmesg:

ide_pci0: <PCI IDE controller (not busmaster capable)> port 0x3f4-0x3f7,0x1f0-0x1ff at device 4.0 on pci0
ide_pci0: driver is using old-style compatibility shims
wdc0 at port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa0
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): < TEKRAM DC-6X0X IDE cacheing controller>
wd0: 8063MB (16514064 sectors), 16383 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

Note the controller's name where the disk's name should be....

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator