Date:       8 Jan 2001 20:11:54 MST
From:      Chris Hodapp <hodapp87@usa.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Replying

Thanks a lot, guys. You really answered my question well. I'm used to jun=
ky
he
facts but the one I need.

I'd like to run some form of Linux-based GUI on the old computer I have -=
 like
I said, it's a 486DX-33, 12 mb RAM, and I have about 200 megs of space I =
could
use for an EXT2FS partition if that's what BSD runs in.

The only thing is, I really don't know much about Linux operating systems=
 and
I couldn't install a version of it on my own easily. I do know quite a bi=
about computers, just not in the area of Linux. So I'd need something tha=
would be able to install itself or that I could install very easily. I've=
 put
up questions on forums asking what releases of Linux would run on that
computer, and it seems that disk space is a bit limited for me if I run
FreeBSD. Someone recommended Slackware 3.3 and told me that I had way mor=
than the requirements for it. I went to the site they told me, and it was=
 an
FTP with a directory listing of all the files. I had no clue what to down=
load,
it was a jumbled mess of directory trees. So do you know of any Linux GUI=
that would run on that and leave me sufficient disk space for my own good=
?
Someone said something about PicoBSD.....

On Sunday January 07, 2001 02:41
> What are the disk space requirements for the FreeBSD operating
> system? I was unable to find that on the website. I was wondering if
> it would run on a 486\33 MHz with 12 MB RAM, on a 200 MB or smaller
> partition.

-----------------------------------

It'll install and run. I'd start with a minimal install, and then add
things as you need them.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more informat=
ion.

--------------------

I once installed FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE on a 486 DX2-50 with 12 MB RAM and 2=
11MB
IDE disk. If you want to use your 486 for NAT/IPFW, DNS etc. it will do t=
he
work quite well. The problem is the disk space: if you want to install
XFree86, netscape, emacs, ghostscript/gv to use your 486 as a home pc the=
you'll need much more space. To give you an idea, on this workstation I h=
ave
the following packages:

XFree86-3.3.6_4
XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3
Xaw3d-1.5
apache_fp-1.3.14
autoconf-2.13
automake-1.4
bash-2.04
boehm-gc-5.0a4
bzip2-1.0.1
cvsup-bin-16.1
docbook-1.2
docbook-241
docbook-3.0
docbook-3.1
docbook-4.0
docbook-4.1
docproj-1.1
dsssl-docbook-modular-1.60_1
emacs-20.7
fetchmail-5.6.1
gettext-0.10.35
ghostscript-6.01_1
glib-1.2.8
gmake-3.79.1
gtk-1.2.8
gv-3.5.8
html-4.01
icewm-1.0.4_1
imlib-1.9.8.1
iso8879-1986
ispell-3.1.20c
jade-1.2.1
jpeg-6b
libslang-1.4.2
libtool-1.3.4_1
libungif-4.1.0b1
linux-jdk-1.2.2
linux_base-6.1
linuxdoc-1.1
m4-1.4
mkcatalog-1.1
mod_php-4.0.4
mpeg_play-2.4
mutt-1.2.5
netscape-navigator-4.76
netscape-remote-1.0
netscape-wrapper-2000.07.07
patch-2.5
png-1.0.8_1
popt-1.5
postgresql-7.0.3
procmail-3.15
qiv-1.5
qmail-1.03
rpm-3.0.6_4
serialmail-0.75
sgmlformat-1.7
tidy-20000804
tiff-3.5.5
ucspi-tcp-0.88
unix2dos-1.2
unzip-5.41
vilearn-1.0
w3m-0.1.11.p.23
xfstt-1.1_1
xpm-3.4k

These packages plus the source of the system take up:

df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1a    48M    24M    21M    53%    /
/dev/wd0s1e   1.8G  1020M   711M    59%    /usr
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc

That is 5 times the capacity of your disk. Hope this helps.

	Francesco Casadei
Everything at the office is big, but at home, I built a gateway for my LA=
so that the whole family could have simulaneous net access.

My gateway box is
486 DX50
32Mb RAM
212 Mb HDD

it runs like a dream

Dont know if your 12 Mb RAM is enough, I have no experience in that area,=

but try it unless someone else can advise)

For your reference, when you carve up the disk, allow about 40 MB for / ,=
 10
for /var , and the rest for /usr .
Also you will want a swap in there as well, the standard is to allocate
twice your amount of RAM as swap, again I have no experience with 12Mb RA=
M,
but I think I would be tempted to allocate more than 24Mb swap..... (say
50Mb.????)

Someone may have more experience and give better advice, if not, give it =
try..........
After all, what have you got to lose ??????
The 486 stands a far better chance of flying on FreeBSD than is does on
=2E....... Ahhhhh...... what's that other thing called ??????? (something=

beginning with "M" ??????)

Good luck
Have fun
Craig
----

That would be close.  You could certainly run it in that RAM and on =

that processor, but 200MB would really limit you as to what you could =

install.  You may want to look into picobsd at
http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/

				Tim