Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:58:46 -0600
From:      Andrew Cattau <cattand@charlie.cns.iit.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem running FreeBSD with VIA chipset

i have an AMD K6 200 that i am trying to install FreeBSD on.  There is a
problem with my hardware that causes me to get random system crashes and
kernel panics during periods of heavy  hard disk activity.  I believe
this is a problem with either my hard disk controller or my bios. I ran
linux on this box for about a year and a half, and had similar problems
under linux until i started using the kernel option "PCI bios quirks",
which seemed to fix the issue.

the motherboard is an fic socket 7 board (pa-1007, i think but i dont
remember exactly) with a via apollo chipset.  my boot screen tells me
that the ide controller is a VIA 82C586x.  the bios is AWARD, i have no
idea on the rev #

if anybody knows a way to fix this or work around this i would greatly
appreciate it.