Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:53:49 +1100
From:      Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.Gov.AU>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sio problems with 4.9-RELEASE-p1 ?

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since upgrading to 4.9-RELEASE-p1 (or thereabouts) on 6 i386 low end
(P5/PII class) platforms, I find I can no longer dial-in (async access
_not_ PPP).

The upgrade procedure is - excepting the boot to single-user mode - that
documented in /usr/src/UPDATING from a local copy of the CVS repo.

Mergemaster has been applied and the specific items for /etc/ttys
merged. Likewise /dev/MAKEDEV has been run to remake any non-standard
devices.

The problem machines share this serial hardware

. Modem (serial modem, not USB)

. Multi-port serial card (AST clone, 4 port)

Some of the other problem characteristics are

. Modem can be accessed with tip.

. Getty process state does not change from siocdcd,

. Modem answers but does not leave command mode (evidently).

. There have been no kernel configuration changes or platform hardware
changes (the kernel configuration hasn't been changed since 2002).

> ll /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
total 133
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel     512 Apr 20  2002 CVS
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    9763 Apr 28  2003 GENERIC
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  104976 Oct 23 05:04 LINT
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    9692 Apr 20  2002 MY_BF_TERMSERVER

. There have been no cabling changes, and as noted the modem has worked
on the same hardware/cable/serial port thruought all 4.x-RELEASES.

I don't know when I lost dialin access since the modem is rarely used,
but I think it would have been unlikely before 4.8-RELEASE.

There have been changes in sio.c but rebuilding the kernel with sio.c
and sioreg.h does not help.

Replacing Getty with MGetty also fails to help.

Any comments will be warmly welcomed.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.